Find it hard to believe an easel is essential? It's actually a brilliant piece of equipment to have around, for many more reasons than painting.
Easels encourage children’s wrists to bend upwards, in the same way they do for writing.
Standing at an easel is also good for upper arm and shoulder strength, which in turn provide the wrist with more stable support.
Easels don't have to mean messy paints and brushes, either. Giant crayons and chalks work just as well on vertical surfaces. Children can experiment with different coloured papers, brushes and pens, choose a subject to paint or challenge them to design something new.
If you don't have an easel, it's easy to tape some paper to the wall, and you'll get all the same benefits. In fact, you can even ditch the paper. Next time you've got a bored preschooler on your hands, give them a bucketful of water and a paintbrush and ask them to paint the house or garden fence. The long, straight, vertical strokes will encourage confident handwriting, which is built on a smooth up-down motion.
Have your say
7. BallBalls are useful play apparatus throughout early years development. Here’s how to get the most from a ball at key...Alexis Ralphs Sep 19, 2020
8. Play Figures - PeoplePlay people are an especially important part of any pre-school toy box.Alexis Ralphs Sep 19, 2020
9. Play Figures - AnimalsExploring through play the relationships between animals allows the child to explore power dynamics between individuals and groups, young and old, strong and...Alexis Ralphs Sep 19, 2020
11. Guide to block playIs there a better toy than the simple block? Whether you need a castle or a cave, a house or...Alexis Ralphs Sep 19, 2020
19. Play-DoughChildren love playing with dough because it feels so squidgy in their hands and is easy to manipulate.Alexis Ralphs Nov 10, 2020
33. VehiclesVehicle-play has plenty more to offer beyond the obvious making of engine noises, crashes and races - all of which...Alexis Ralphs Sep 19, 2020
70. Soft toys
91. Guide to PuzzlesWhat's so special about puzzles? Why are they such a perennial classic, a winning gift that every child is happy...Alexis Ralphs Dec 01, 2020