56. Card Games
Old-fashioned card games are great for helping children learn mathematical concepts in a fun, non-maths way.
Old-fashioned card games are great for helping children learn mathematical concepts in a fun, non-maths way. Splitting a deck of cards is an early form of division and remainders. Dealing cards is counting. Cards help with following complicated rules, paying attention, taking turns and patience. And of course they also provide great poker-face practice - vital for all mischief-making.
There are many commercially printed decks of cards with specific themes, which are great for topics and language learning. But most simple card games can just as easily be played with a traditional deck of cards. Some easy entry-level games to play at home include:
Snap: for matching and quick thinking.
War: for maths and number concepts, higher and lower etc.
Old Maid: for sorting, visual discrimination and vocabulary.
Have your say
13. Open-ended playOpen-ended play is brilliant. It encourages experimentation and perseverance and keeps your children busy for hours, buying you the time...Alexis Ralphs Sep 18, 2020
20. Doll's house play and why it mattersWhat's so special about playing with doll's houses? And what's the secret to their enduring appeal? In this guide we'll...Alexis Ralphs Jul 28, 2020
22. Small World PlayHave you heard of small world play? In this type of play, children can build, create and imagine, all in...Alexis Ralphs Jul 28, 2020
23. Messy PlayMessy play may sound like a terrible idea when you’re already battling the regular mess that comes with toddlers.Alexis Ralphs Jul 28, 2020
38. Memory GamesMost of us played I Spy and Kim's Game as children. There is a reason games like this get passed...Alexis Ralphs Jul 28, 2020
57. Sorting, classifying and spot the differenceSorting is the most important activity your child will ever do. Without it, no other kinds of play are possible....Alexis Ralphs Jul 28, 2020
64. A Beginner's Guide to The Home CornerDo you have a home corner? Does it sound a little old fashioned? A play kitchen, some pretend food and...Alexis Ralphs Sep 13, 2020
85. Junk-ModellingThere is construction play - and then there is junk modelling. Junk modelling is by far the most creative and...Alexis Ralphs Jul 28, 2020
86. Parlour GamesParlour games are great for sharing the fun. So many of today’s toys and games are played alone, especially electronic...Alexis Ralphs Jul 28, 2020