70. Soft toys
Does your child like soft toys?
They're a classic gift for a new baby but they often then sit in the corner unloved and unnoticed for years.
But then something magical happens. They are rediscovered and, like an old friend, it's like they never went away.
Your child is now two or three (or eight!) and the soft toy is no longer just a source of comfort but a companion, someone to invite to tea parties and take on adventures.
The perennial appeal of the cuddly toy is something we can all relate to. A first soft toy is a friend for your child to care for and look after (in the way they are being looked after themselves). It provides something soft and re-assuring to reach for in new or difficult situations.
Uncomfortable feelings can be projected onto a soft toy, so when a child is scared they can pretend the toy is scared. No surprise then, that soft toys often become so important to children, and that so many of us keep our own favourite childhood soft toys well into adulthood. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
They can even be passed down through the generations. My wife's teddy bear has now been adopted by my eldest son and he's still in good shape. With a bit of luck he may even get a cuddle from my grandchildren.
Have your say
7. BallBalls are useful play apparatus throughout early years development. Here’s how to get the most from a ball at key...Alexis Ralphs Jul 28, 2020
8. Play Figures - PeoplePlay people are an especially important part of any pre-school toy box.Alexis Ralphs Jul 28, 2020
9. Play Figures - AnimalsExploring through play the relationships between animals allows the child to explore power dynamics between individuals and groups, young and old, strong and...Alexis Ralphs Jul 28, 2020
11. Guide to block playIs there a better toy than the simple block? Whether you need a castle or a cave, a house or a...Alexis Ralphs Jul 28, 2020
19. Play-DoughChildren love playing with dough because it feels so squidgy in their hands and is easy to manipulate.Alexis Ralphs Jul 28, 2020
29. EaselFind it hard to believe an easel is essential? It's actually a brilliant piece of equipment to have around, for...Alexis Ralphs Jul 28, 2020
33. VehiclesVehicle-play has plenty more to offer beyond the obvious making of engine noises, crashes and races - all of which...Alexis Ralphs Jul 28, 2020
91. PuzzlesFor an all-round workout of your pre-schooler’s developing skills, you can’t beat a jigsaw. These traditional puzzles work on so...Alexis Ralphs Jul 28, 2020