55. The Hundred Languages of Children
How many languages does your child speak?
Just one? Maybe two?
Educators in Reggio Emilia, Italy, believe that they have one hundred.
Not spoken languages, of course, but ways of expressing themselves.
Dance, art and music, sculpture, construction and song. Your child can speak in many ways.
It's tempting to measure our children's capabilities by what they can produce on paper, but do we miss if we do this?
What materials could you offer, what projects and experiences could you begin, what could you learn about your own child's boundless potential if you stepped away from the lined paper and the pencil?
Have your say
12. Process artGetting the craft box out to make decorations and cards with our children sounds like a cosy, Pinterest-friendly activity but...Alexis Ralphs Jan 24, 2021
63. Provocations and invitations to playHenry comes into the living room to find a line of cars, buses and taxis perched on the second shelf...Alexis Ralphs Jan 24, 2021
65. Project-based LearningWhat do you do when your pre-schooler develops an all-consuming passion, like volcanoes, ponies or whip spiders? Buy them a...Alexis Ralphs Jan 24, 2021
71. The Environment as the Third TeacherThe space your child plays in can ask questions. Your child is engaged in a dialogue with the room and...Alexis Ralphs Jan 24, 2021